Apologies for the late posting of this report - bagophily.com.
"WOW, what an outstanding month at Ebay in February. Almost 50 auctions exceeded the barrier of €10 and the maximum price for a single bag was €82.20," writes our markets correspondent Gerd Clemens.
"But let me start with an auction of a collection of about 130 bags from 85 different airlines. As it was such an interesting auction and for those collectors who did not follow it here the item # at ebay and have your own look on it: 6601983632.
Despite the fact that final bid was at €132, the highest price I have ever seen for barf bags at ebay, I judge this price as very reasonable, especially if one compares it to the prices for the single bags which will be shown now:
- Number one in February was a bag from Russia: Volga-Aviaexpress at a final bid of €82.20. Nine bidders fought for it.
- Very close behind and runner up a plastic bag from an Iranian Airline namely Qeshm Air at a price of €82.10.
- Number 3 was a Hungarian airline which ceased operation in 2002, Pannon Airlines. Mainly two hard bidders brought price up to €81.66.
- Nature Air an airline from Costa Rica came up as # 4 at a price of £46.10 which is about €67.
- The bag from Malindi Air Services from Kenya came up as number 5 at a price of €54.53.
- Some of you may know TransAsia Airways from Taiwan. Their former name was Foshing Airlines and a bag from this airline was sold at a final price of €45.50.
- A bag from French airline Minerve which had changed his name to AOM came up to number 7 at a final bid of €44.03.
- The small Pakistani airline Bhoja Air, which operated domestic routes and to the Emirates but ceased operation in 2003, was the former owner of a bag sold at a price of €41.09.
- Until 1996 the domestic Taiwanese Airline Uni Air was known as Makung Airlines and a bag of this airline came up as # 9 at a price of €40.60.
- The Egypt charter airline Flash Airlines may be known to some of you. A plane of this airline crashed in Red Sea in Jan. 2004 because of bad maintenance. The barf bag came on rank # 10 at a price of €40.50.
- A bag from the Indian domestic airline NEPC Airlines was sold at a price of €35.85, which was rank # 10.
- Nineteen bids were made for a bag from the Valencia-based airline AeroNova at a final bid of €35,75.
- On Rank # 13 we find an airline from Colombia Searca ltda at a price of €34.03.
- Surinam Airways is the national airline of Surinam which flies also to the Netherlands. The final bid was at €31.60.
- An old bag from China’s CAAC conglomerate became # 15 at a price of €31.60.
- GMG Airlines is Bangladesh’ s largest domestic airline, just 4 bidders tried to secure this bag, despite this price came up to €31.16.
- There are at least 5 airlines in Somalia. Jubba Airways is certainly not the most famous one. You can be proud to get a bag from this airline. Hence 7 bidders fought for this bag and finally one had to pay €30.78.
- There are not too much people which have the chance to visit the Galapagos Islands. By doing this you have a good opportunity to get a barf bag from AeroGal which means Aerolineas Galapagos SA, an airline in Ecuador. The price for the bag was reasonable just €29.38.
- On rank # 19 another Chinese airline appears namely CUA China United Airlines. This airline was founded in 1986 as an arm of the People’s Liberation Army civil transport division. In the meantime there are strong links to the Shanghai Airlines. Also here 7 bidders were involved and price came up to €23.73.
- Rank # 20 goes to Indonesia to a bag from Awair Airwagon International which has changed its name to Air Asia end of last year. Price was €22.03.
- LAPA stands for Lines Aeras Privadas Argentinas and a barf bag from this airline was sold at €21.45.
- LRC Taxi Aereo is a very special airline in Sao Paulo Brazil, and their bag was taken at a price of €18.75.
- Another Brazilian airline is Rico Linhas Aereas, which has operated since 1979 in the Amazon region. One of their bags was sold at a price of €18.75.
- At the same price a bag from another Indonesian airline was taken, IAT Indonesia Air Transport is the name of this airline which was founded in 1968 to provide service to the oil industry.
- And again at the same price of €18.75 a bag from Myanma Airways, an airline founded in 1950 as Burma Airways, but when Burma was renamed in Myanmar in 1988 the name of the airline was changed accordingly.
- An old bag from Poland's national airline LOT became # 26 at a price of €16.30.
- Another old bag, this time from the German airline Aero Lloyd was close behind at €16.05.
- Dubrovnik Airline was launched in 2004, but the average age of their fleet is 19.1 years old. Hence bags may become rare, a good reason to get one? This happened at a price of €15.96.
- An airline from Angola became # 29, Sonair Air Service, a subsidiary of the Angolan Oil Company. Price for the bag came to €15.90.
- Air Koryo is the name of the state owned airline of North Korea. To me it seems to be a very risky airline because no new aircrafts were purchased since 1990 and some of the aircrafts are older than 40 years. It is no surprise that this airline is banned in EU air space now. Nevertheless barf bags are available, this month in a new design at a price of €15.50 and on rank # 30.
- In course of last months bags from Cairo Aviation were regularly on sale. Still 6 bidders tried to secure this bag, and price went up to €14.80.
- An interesting bag with the logos of the main Taiwanese airlines UNI EVA and GREAT CHINA was sold at €14.75 followed by an Egyptian bag from Petroleum Air Services at a price of €14.15 and by an bag for €13.05 from Spantax, which collapsed in 1988.
- A bag from the domestic Chilean Sky Airline came up at a price of €13.05 and also the runner up got the chance to secure a bag at a slightly lower price.
- Rank # 36 is taken by a bag from a defunct airline from Brazil namely Passaredo Transportes Aereos which was in operation from 1995- 2002. Price of the bag was just €12.85.
- Another airline from Myanmar “spends” some bags for the auctions, namely Air Bagan. Auction was closed at €12.50, but this bag is now available at far lower prices. Or you can swap with me, as I have some spares.
- A bag from Servivensa a subsidiary of Venezuela-based Avensa was taken at a price of €12.50, followed by another South American Airline, namely ICARO AIR, an domestic airline in Ecuador at a price of US$ 15 equal to €12.47.
- The Belgian SN Brussels Airline offers a bag with the logo Fly SN, which seems to be very rare. Consequently last bid was at €12.03.
- Rank # 40 goes to a “very rare old bag” so the seller, from Air Alpes which was sold in a direct sale at a price of €12.
- Viabrasil is an airline I do not have information at all. Maybe somebody can help me. The airsickness bag of this company exists and it was sold at €11.61.
- Another bag of Dubrovnik Airline was sold at €10.70, followed by a bag from the bankrupt Argentina airline American Falcon at a price of €10.52.
- The Russian airline Samara which, I suppose is situated in the town Samara was sold at a price of €10.52 and finally, as far as I could monitor it, a bag from Northern Canada from Air Inuit. This airline is collectively owned by the Inuits.
This was the report for February 2006. In case of any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. The charge for an answer will be one bag from your collection."